All applicants without a legal right of admission to English language Master's degree programmes must provide documentation of English language qualifications identical or comparable with an 'English B level' in the Danish upper secondary school ('gymnasium').
Please note that Danish language Master’s programmes may also have and English B requirement.
English B language qualifications can be documented as follows:
- English B level (Danish upper secondary school level)
- TOEFL IBT
English B – Test result of at least 83 (internet-based test).
Aarhus University accepts the TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition test.
Aarhus University does not accept
- TOEFL ITP
- TOEFL Essentials
- MyBest Scores
- paper-based tests (including the TOEFL ITP Plus for China Solution)
When you sign up for a TOEFL test, you must request the test center to add Aarhus University as a recipient of your test result in order for us to verify your test result.
The Aarhus University TOEFL code is 8935.
- IELTS Academic
English B– IELTS Academic test result of at least 6.5 points.
Aarhus University accepts the IELTS Online test.
- Cambridge English Qualifications
English B – Cambridge English Advanced (grades A, B and C) or Cambridge English First (grade A) or 180 points as a minimum on the Cambridge English Scale.
Once you have received your test results, you must upload them to your application. In addition, please share your test scores with Aarhus University through the Candidate Results Website (https://candidates.cambridgeenglish.org/), so we can verify your test score online.
You must share your results with Aarhus University via the Candidate Results Website (candidates.cambridgeenglish.org). To access this website you must register using your ‘Candidate ID’ and ‘Secret Number’ (obtained from your exam centre). We do not accept test results that cannot be verified through the Cambridge website.
- A Nordic/Duborg/International Baccalaureate (from the IB diploma programme)/European Baccalaureate (from the “ScholaEuropaea”) entrance examination with an English level equivalent to English B level (Danish upper secondary school level).
See a comparison of the Nordic subject levels. Please note: This overview is updated once a year in the beginning of March and changes may therefore be announced shortly before the application deadline.
- A completed high-school diploma/Upper Secondary School Leaving Examination, English language Bachelor’s or a Master's degree from USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom or Ireland. The applicant must provide documentation that the programme was taught in English.
Please note that applicants with an English language qualifying examination or degree programme from all other countries than the above mentioned must submit a test.
- Applicants holding a Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abiturzeugnis) from Germany with the subject English Leistungsfach (LF)/erhöhtes Anforderungsniveau (eA)/Kernfach (KF)/Profilfach/Profilgebendes Fach (PgF). The subject must be passed with a single subject GPA equivalent of 2.0 on the Danish 7-point scale.
In addition, the following applies:
- We do not accept IELTS and TOEFL tests that are more than 2 years old when the application system opens 1 November. Cambridge tests do not have an expiration date.
- Both IELTS and TOEFL are offered in Denmark. TOEFL is specifically offered in Aarhus.
- Current exchange students should be aware that they must also document their English language qualifications when applying for a full degree programme.
- You must upload your test result or your receipt for registration to the test to your application through the application portal. See the documentation checklist.
Application before you have passed your English language test
It is possible to apply for admission before you have taken your English language test and obtained the required result. In that case, you must upload documentation that you have signed up for a test and that you will upload your documentation later. Please state you expected result date.
When you have passed your English language test, you must upload your test result to your application. See the documentation deadlines.
If you are considered academically qualified for admission, you will receive a letter of admission conditioned on the submission of a sufficient test score before the announced deadlines.
The Danish Ministry of Higher Education and Science’s Ministerial Order no. 107 of 12 February 2018 (including later amendments) on Admission to and Enrolment in Master's degree (Candidatus) programmes at Universities and Higher Education Institutions within the Fine Arts under the Ministry of Higher Education and Science. The Admission Order can be found here: https://www.retsinformation.dk/Forms/R0710.aspx?id=198309 (available in Danish only).